Saturday, January 10, 2009

AUTHENTICITY....SOMETIMES IT IS HARD TO FIND

I went to the beach yesterday and just enjoyed an afternoon of solitude, great music and painting. As I was sitting on our deck I realized just how difficult it is sometimes to find our authentic selves. Sometimes I think we find our authentic selves many times in a lifetime. It is circumstantial...it ebs with the chapters from our lives...it develops with maturity and wisdom and of course...age! When I look back on my life I see bits and pieces of my authentic self peaking out through different relationships and different life experiences. I think the key is to find those authenticities that withstand time and change and bumps in the paths of our lives. Those pieces of who we are that truly stick...stick through the good, stick through the bad, stick through the icky, stick through the painful, stick through the elations, etc... ,etc... I love having a desire to know myself better and to understand what it is that truly makes me happy and how I can reach out to others in that sense. I love knowing if I was able to inspire someone just a tad or give a good piece of advice when someone is in need. I know I am at a place in my life that I am seeking out my authentic self...striving to find my authentic self. Anyone else out there on my same page??

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sorry I'm 3 years late in stumbling across this. You put words to many, many things I think, feel, experience & want. I hope you are doing well & being blessed for what you have been discovering. It isn't the easiest course to travel at times, but I think it's worth every ounce of time, thought, and energy to seek this, and ask those questions of yourself.

    You express yourself really well, and make it sound like a fun challenge to look forward to, rather than a chore that needs to be done... a rut I've been in, unfortunately. Thanks, retroactively, for reminding me how lovely this is supposed to be! I esp. liked what you said about:

    "I love having a desire to know myself better and to understand what it is that truly makes me happy and how I can reach out to others in that sense. I love knowing if I was able to inspire someone just a tad or give a good piece of advice when someone is in need"

    Having spent too much of my life trying to love narcissists (boo!), I had gotten the message from -- all of them -- that I was ugly for feeling the way you described. Narcissists cannot tolerate this POV, it seems. :P
    Seeking help with that, I found you. So, thanks... very uplifting & hopeful! And, in my opinion, wise. Thanks for the reminder...
    and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

i heart love notes....